Oscar night! Yet another excuse to throw a dinner party. Pretty soon I’m going to be having parties to celebrate Tax Day and Administrative Assistants Day… don’t say I didn’t warn you.
We had parents and friends over to watch the fashion show and groan every time Hugo won an award (don’t even get me started on that self-congratulatory work of
navel-gazing cinematic wonder!).
The girls made honorary Oscars for everyone in the family and announced them between commercials: Best Friend, Best Comedian, Sweetest, etc. (I was sad not to win the award for Best Original Barking… that went to Teddy)
We had a bit of a hodge-podge dinner menu using up some leftover ingredients in the fridge, freezer & pantry. Since we were serving everything one course at a time, it worked out OK… just don’t put these all on one plate together!
- Mini Chicken Pot Pies with Bacon & Marjoram – you can make these 1 day ahead and bake ‘em just before serving
- Truffle & Caramelized Onion Pizza – stay tuned for an awesome pizza recipe post
- Korean Steak Kabobs – one of our family faves, this recipe turns even an ordinary cut of steak into a succulent, savory-sweet dish; freeze the raw steak for 1 hour before slicing to get paper-thin carvings
- Asian Cabbage Salad – I added mandarin oranges, peanuts & crunchy chow mein noodles to this recipe
- Pesto Pinwheels – a new twist on Sam’s favorite appetizer
- Black & White Chocolate-Covered Strawberries – an ode to The Artist (and a great way to use up some extra chocolate chips!)
- Popcorn & Movie Candy
Next year we’re going to turn this into a Oscar pajama-glam party. Pajamas + jewels + high heels = fabulousness. Oh, and we definitely need more Crunch n Munch to go in the popcorn.